Adult New Enrollment and Re-Enrollment
Adult New Enrollment
Thank you for your interest in becoming and/or continuing as a 4-H adult volunteer. As a volunteer, you will play an important role in the development of young people, helping them to identify their spark and develop the skills and positive outcomes that lead to thriving. Below are the steps to becoming a volunteer. We look forward to working with you as a valuable asset to the 4-H Youth Development Program.
All 4-H adult volunteers must apply and be appointed annually. Please follow the steps below to apply to be a 4-H adult volunteer.
Contact your county
You sign up as a volunteer through your local Mendocino County Cooperative Extension Office. The 4-H Representative in the Extension office can help you find clubs near you and start you on the process of becoming a volunteer. Please call 707-463-4495.
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
- Complete the online 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish
- Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline.* Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. This is how you will receive communications.
(*Note: The password can be requested by clicking on this link:http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=20474).
*For Spanish: The 4hOnline system is only in English. Please fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms for your records.
- Complete your Live Scan. Livescan Process Info PageLivescan form
New Volunteer Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they become approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces you to the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4-H. The trainings are available in English. Spanish training is coming soon!
After you complete and submit your 4hOnline profile, check the Family email you used in 4hOnline for eXtension login instructions. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with your county 4-H Representative for the instructions.
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after
- You are signed up in 4hOnline.
- You have passed the screening process.
- You complete all of the New Volunteer Training required in your county.
Once you are approved, the fun begins!
- Start connecting with 4-H families about your new role.
- Take advantage of 4-H resources:
- Skills development workshops
- Approved curriculum to plan your projects
- Volunteer leadership conferences
Your county may have additional resources specific to your county, so please connect with your county 4-H Program Representative.
Re-apply annually by December 31
All 4-H volunteers must be appointed annually. If you are a current 4-H Adult Volunteer, to continue in the next year you need to re-apply and be re-appointed by December 31st to continue with no break in service.
Update your 4hOnline profile.
1. Log in to 4hOnline to update your profile to enroll for the new year. Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. Do not create a new profile, just click "Forgot My Password".
Take the Returning Volunteers Training in the online eXtension system. 2. You will receive the login information sent to your Family email after you update and submit your 4h online profile application for the new year. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with your county 4-H Representative for the instructions. (go to https://campus.extension.org/enrol/index.php?id=1410)
Get approved as a 4-H Volunteer.
3. The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after all the application requirements and mandatory trainings are completed.