Rachel B. Elkins
County Director -Lake County, Pomology Farm Advisor in Lake and Mendocino Counties and Master Gardener Advisor in Lake CountyUC Cooperative Extension
883 Lakeport Boulevard
Lakeport, CA 95453
Rachel B. Elkins, Pomology Farm Advisor, Lake and Mendocino Counties. B.A. in International Studies (Asian Studies), University of the Pacific, Stockton (1978), B.S. in Agricultural Pest Management from University of California, Berkeley (1981), M.S. in Plant Protection and Pest Management from UC Davis (1985), and M.S. in Horticulture (Pomology), U.C. Davis (1989). Crop responsibilities include European pears, walnuts, apples, olives and other commercial fruit and nut crops, as well as the Master Gardener Program in Lake County.
M.S. Horticulture, UC Davis. 1989
M.S. Plant Protection & Pest Management, UC Davis. 1985
B.S. Agricultural Pest Management, UC Berkeley. 1981
B.A. International Studies, University of the Pacific. 1978
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Fruit and Nut Crop
- Fruit and Nut Crop - General
- Fruit Crops - General
- Tree Fruits - General
- Deciduous Tree Fruits - General
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Management Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Master Gardeners
- DuPont, T. (2017). Organic fire blight management in the western U.S. eXtension. http://articles.extension.org/pages/74505/organic-fire-blight-management-in-the-western-us
- Elkins, R. (2017). UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Pear.
- Elkins, R. Crop Team Leader. (2017). UCIPM Pest Management Guidelines: Pear. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Roncoroni, J.; Hanson, B. (2017). UCIPM Pest Management Guidelines: Walnut. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Marquez, M. (2017). Water budget development for SGMA compliance, case study: Ukiah Valley Groundwater Basin. J. of Contemporary Water Resources & Education. Universities Council on Water Resources. 162, 112-127.
- Johnson, K. (2016). Integration of acibenzolar-S-methyl with antibiotics for protection of pear and apple from fire blight caused by Erwinia amylovora. Crop Protection. 88, 149-154.
- Van Steenwyk, R. (2015). Codling moth: a cultural control management option. Acta Horticulturae. 1094, 405-410.
- O'Geen, A. (2015). Soil suitability index identifies potential areas for groundwater banking on agricultural soils. California Agriculture. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources. 69:2, 75-84.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Soil suitability index identifies potential areas for groundwater banking on agricultural lands
- Mass releases of Trichogramma wasps can reduce damage from codling moth
- Management of navel orangeworm and ants
- Plant composition of orchard floors
ANR Workgroup Associations
- European Pear - Chair
- Agriculture and Nature Tourism - Member
- Building Food Security - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Urban Horticulture - Member
- Walnut - Member