Project Proficiency Information Sheet [July 2021]
(Project Proficiencies are not required; they are purely voluntary)
Club Proficiency Application List [Due April 30th]
Club Proficiency Completion List [Due August 15th]
In an attempt to recognize more 4-H members for their project efforts, Mendocino County 4-H offers a Project Proficiency Program. This program is designed to commend members for the knowledge and skills they learn during the course of their projects. There are three or four levels of competency for most projects. The terms used are usually Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced or by number
Level One, Level Two, etc.
Each member must complete at least 80% of the required guidelines and obtain the Project
Proficiency record with their project leader’s signature.
MENDOCINO COUNTY 4-H POLICY
A 4-H member can obtain as many proficiencies as they are able to complete per 4-H calendar year.
All 4-H members must report intent to complete the proficiency by the date set by their club as well as
report the completion of the proficiency by the date set by the their club. All reporting is done on a club basis. All clubs must have their lists turned in by the deadline set by Mendocino County 4-H Council.
[Mendocino County Council- July 10th, 2021]
WHAT ARE THE JUDGING STANDARDS?
Proficiency levels are judged 100% on the knowledge or skill demonstrated by the member. A member should show progress in development during the course of the project. Progress should be in relationship to 1) member’s ability and 2) size or scope of project knowledge.
Members will not be allowed to add projects in the Proficiency Program after the enrollment has closed, they will only be considered for the level they have signed up for.
WHAT SHOULD MEMBERS DO FIRST?
A member wishing to achieve a project proficiency level has the responsibility to make it known to the project leader. Clubs may have different mechanisms regarding the collection of names of proficiency applicants. Please contact your Community Leader or designated leader to find out how your club handles turning in the record of names to the County Office. The Community Leader or designated leader then turns the Club Records in to the 4-H office by the April 30 deadline. Members work on guidelines at their own speed. You will be evaluated on your selected project by your individual project leader. Each club’s designated leader will turn in the list of those who completed proficiencies to the 4-H office by August 15 deadline. Members receive medal(s) they have earned during the club’s awards program.
AWARD OBJECTIVES AND REQUIREMENTS
To maintain a balance between learning about projects and competing for awards. This program provided the Mendocino County 4-H Council with a method of recognizing 4-H members for their accomplishments. Project Proficiencies also allow members to be recognized for their individual accomplishments. Completed proficiencies also help strengthen record books
Presentation Proficiency Program
This program allows members to be recognized for their individual accomplishments. Project Proficiency is a way to develop your skills and project information base. If a member completes a Proficiency level they should record their achievement under “Honors and Recognition” on their Personal Development Report Form in their Record Book. Any member who has given a presentation at County Presentation Day is eligible to participate in the Presentation Proficiency Program (whether they received a gold award or not), including Primary members. Does not include Share the Fun, Cultural Arts or Impromptu Presentations.
- To give 4-H members opportunities to share with others what they have learned in 4-H
- To recognize 4-H members who give presentations for various groups, thereby increasing their proficiency in making public presentations.
- To promote 4-H within our communities.
- GIVE A PRESENTATION AT COUNTY PRESENTATION DAY. This is a requirement because the presentation will be judged (with the exception of Primary presentations) and all members receive feedback.
- GIVE YOUR PRESENTATION A MINIMUM OF 5 ADDITIONAL TIMES.
- At least 2 of these must be given to non-4-H groups (service clubs, schools, etc.)
- 3 of these may be given to 4-H groups (Sectional and/or State Presentation Day, club meetings, project meetings, etc.) as long as there are at least five or more people present.
After each presentation, have an authorized adult (preferably not your parent) sign and date the Application for Presentation Proficiency. When you have completed 5 presentations (as outlined above) submit the application to your club leader for their signature of approval. Sign the application and send it to the 4-H Office by 5PM on August 15th. Late applications will not be accepted.
AWARDS: Appropriate medals will be awarded at the Annual Achievement Event held in the fall each year.
- Arts and Crafts...Beginning
- Arts and Crafts...Intermediate
- Avian Science...Beginning
- Avian Science...Intermediate
- Avian Science...Advanced
Beekeeping Level 1
Beekeeping Level 2
Beekeeping Level 3
- Beef L 1
- Beef L 2
- Beef L 3
- Beef L 4
- Cake Decorating...Beginning
- Cake Decorating...Intermediate
- Camping and Hiking...Beginning
- Camping and Hiking...Intermediate
- Cavy Proficiency...Beginning
- Clothing and Textiles...Beginning
- Clothing and Textiles...Intermediate
- Clothing and Textiles...Advanced
- Communications Public Speaking Proficiency
Dairy Cattle L1
Dairy Cattle L2
Dairy Cattle L3
- Dairy Goat...Beginning
- Dairy Goat...Intermediate
- Dairy Goat...Advanced
- Dog Care and Training...Beginning
- Dog Care and Training...Intermediate
Dog Care and Training...Advanced
Firearms and Hunter Safety proficiency
- Foods, Cooking & Nurtition L1
- Foods, Cooking & Nurtition L2
- Foods, Cooking & Nutrition L3
Foods, Cooking & Nutrition L4
Food Preservation L1
- Floral Design
- Flower Arrangement Project Proficiency Level II
- Fly Tying
- Goat L1
- Goat L2
- Goat L3
- Goats L4
- Graphic Arts...Beginning
- Guide Dogs...Beginning
- Guide Dogs...Advanced
- Home Environment...Beginning
- Home Environment...Intermediate
- Home Environment...Advanced
- Knitting Proficiency Level 1
Knitting Proficiency Level II
- Marine Biology...Beginning
- Marine Biology...Intermediate
- Marine Biology...Advanced
- Marine Science
- Navajo Churro Sheep...Beginning
- Navajo Churro Sheep...Intermediate
- Navajo Churro Sheep...Advanced
- Poultry L1
- Poultry L2
- Poultry L3
Presentation Proficiency 2018
- Pygmy Goat Level 1
Pygmy Goat Level 2
Pygmy Goat Level 3
Pygmy Goat Level 4
Quilting Level 1
Quilting Level 2
Quilting Level 3
- Rabbit L1
- Rabbit L2
- Rabbit L3
- Rabbits L4
- Scrapbooking Level 1 and 2
- Shooting Sports...Beginning
- Sheep L 1
- Sheep L 2
- Sheep L 3
- Sheep L4
- Shotgun L1
- Shotgun L2
- Shotgun L3
- Shotgun L4
- Small Engines...Beginning
- Swimming L1
- Swimming L2
- Swimming L3
- Swimming L4
- Swine L 1
- Swine L 2
- Swine L 3
- Swine L 4
- Vet Project Info and Application
- Veterinary Science
- Welding Beginning
- Wildlife Science...Beginning
- Wildlife Science...Intermediate
- Wildlife Science...Advanced